Monday 13 October 2008

2nd bit - Preparation

Well, I have started preparing for the trip.  It's just that I haven't got very far with it yet.

Last week I went to the travel clinic just to get a yellow fever vaccination and the nurse helpfully extracted a further two hundred quid in exchange for giving me rabies and Hepatitis B as well.  She also gave me some cholera in a glass.  As I've had a few other jabs from the NHS (and that nurse took the word 'jab' to heart) my left arm now resembles a teabag.  And my bank account is looking a bit redder than normal.  Still, I guess it's better to be slightly skint than slightly dead.

Most of the last week has been spent tidying up the flat, catching up with friends and relatives, and working on some prevarication practice.  This week looks like it may be a bit busier - as well as working out what I need to take and getting it ready, getting some anti-malarials, and sorting out my finances (such as they are); my mum's coming to stay for a day, I need to go to London to collect and fit a radiator for a friend, I need to go to London on another day to get more vaccinations and go for drinks with some ex-colleagues, I also need to feed a friend's cat, replace a brake caliper, a hub seal and two tyres on the car, sort out house bills and give the place a final tidy up.  And it all needs to be done before the weekend when my sister is coming up to stay.

So, I think I should probably be doing something other than sit in front of the computer drinking vast quantities of tea.

The next episode should be after I've left.  Although it would probably help if I actually booked some ferries and train tickets so I could leave...

Joe


No comments: